|Nature Lover's Routes - Mountain Routes - Caves|
The district of Sitia, the largest area on Crete is noteable for its unusual wild beauty. The narrow gorges, the impressive craggy mountains enclosing upland plateaus offer a combination of the beauties of nature that welcome those who seek to know them. Even though the region lacks large forested tracks it is home to an important number of endemic plants and also some rare animals.
1. Kato Zakros Gorge
2. The Pefki Gorge
3. The Hametoulo Xerokampos Gorge
4. The Moni Kapsa Gorge
5. Hochlakies Gorge
The mountains of the region are for the most part rocky, very precipitous in some places, more gently sloping in others.There are countless routes and paths affording ramblers every opportunity to be in direct contact with nature and get plenty of exercise.
Noteworthy mountain tops are:
1. The summit of Afendis Christou
2. The summit of Liopetro
1. Xerolimni to Modi. An interesting walk up to the top of Modi especially in springtime when there are many different small flowers.
2. Lastros to Mount Orno. A beautifull route taking you, in about 3hrs, to the top of Spathi with a breathtaking panoramic view.
3. The Richti ravine. An impressive walk on account of the stream which forms a lovely 30 m long waterfall, and ends up at Richti beach. A 5 to 6 hour walk.
4. Neraida ravine to Monte Forte Castle (Epano Kastelli). A medium walk of about 25 klm which cuts through Agios Georgios where you can enjoy the fine view.
1. The Megalo Katofigi cave (alt 450m) and the Mikro Katofigi cave (alt 425m). These are both in the Agios Georgios village area at a spot known as Mantiliou Plai.
2. The Peristeras cave (alt 540m) situated 23 km east of Karydi village. There are local legends concerning this spectacular cave.
3. The Oxo Latsidi cave (610m alt). This is one of Crete's largest caverns running 310 m. into the earth north west of the village of Sitanos.
4. The Pelekita cave, Another of Crete's large caves 300m. in length. It is situated by the coast at a place known as Pelekita or Sikia in the Kato Zakros area.
5. The Pefki caves. In the Pefki area are the Apaloustres cave and the Latsida Vreikou cave.The second one shows traces of Neolithic habitation.
In further information you can phone to Sitia mountain climbing and nature lovers society.